A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since:
1. It can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.
2. It is a major component in acid rain.
3. It can cause severe burns in its gaseous state.
4. Accidental inhalation can kill you.
5. It contributes to erosion.
6. It decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
7. It has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
Forty-three (43) said yes, six (6) were undecided, and the last one?
Well, only one (1) knew that the chemical, dihydrogen monoxide, was water (H2O).
The title of his prize winning project: "How Gullible Are We?"